With Valentine’s Day lurking around the corner, it is never too early to start thinking about those sweet treats for your valentine.
One of my favorite things to bake for Valentine’s Day is decorated sugar cookies. If you’ve never baked sugar cookies, this is the one for you! It’s super easy and it taste delicious by itself. Besides, it won’t crumble on you when rolling it out.
These heart shaped sugar cookies were simply decorated with pink and red sanding sugar. With the sanding sugar you can decorate a lot of cookies in no time.
So, today I want to share with you my favorite sugar cookie recipe. This is my go to recipe. I can modify it depending on what kind of cookie I’m making that particular day.
So, you if you try this recipe, come back and share your thoughts.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Makes 2 dozen
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar; mix until light and fluffy. With mixer running, add egg, brandy, and vanilla; mix until well combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add reserved flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer dough to a work surface. Shape into 2 discs, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with nonstick baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes, and transfer to prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch in between. Leftover dough can be rolled and cut once more. Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes; do not allow to brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.